Skips on The Road

Skips sited on the road, pavement, verge, residents parking bay or any other land owned and maintained by the Council’s Highways department must have a road permit.   It is illegal to site any skip on Council owned property without a permit.

Who is required to obtain a skip permit?

We apply to the relevant Council for the permit.  It is not the householder’s or the builder’s (contractor) responsibility to obtain the highway permit.  Councils charge a fee for a skip permit but the amount of fee they charge varies between the Councils. Permit applications usually take 3 working days to be processed by the relevant council.

How long does a permit last?

A licence can be valid for any period between 1 week and 4 weeks depending on the Councils policy. For longer periods additional applications (and payments) need to be made. Only one skip will be allowed on site at any one time except in exceptional circumstances.

Where should skips be placed?

Whenever possible, skips should be placed on the carriageway. If permission is granted to place skips on a footway or grass verge (this must be stipulated on ordering the skip), an agreed method of protecting the surface should be carried out by the skip hirer.

Are there any other requirements?

We provide lights and cones for skips placed on the carriageway to make the skips safe and visible to other road users.